DISCLAIMER: I am not a writer or critic, just an everyday mom who really loves baseball...especially when my kids are on the field!!!

My blog was created to track my children's special moments on the field and their experience(s) with their respective teams. It is written through a mother's eyes. The intent is solely for the purpose of reliving the game(s) during post season. From my experience, there will be some bad plays / unfortunate incidents, and these may be recorded in order to follow the game(s). There will also be times when I will have questions or doubts...but these are MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION(S).

I apologize in advance if I do, but I do not intend to criticize any player, or coach...I SIMPLY CALL IT AS I SEE IT!!!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

St. Benedicts Girls Softball Team - West Region Champions!!!

When she joined the team I assumed the games wouldn't be until next Season but then she came home with forms in hand and told me they have a tournament on Friday, September 26th!  The form said it will be all day.  On the weekend she made me feel guilty when she said - 'I hope you will come and watch me play as you always go to all Aaron's games'!  Then she mentioned that they didn't have enough drivers to take the girls to and from the fields.  I had to go to work and discuss taking a personal day as I only have enough vacation left for our upcoming trip.
 
Since he signed up to be a Peer Facilitator at school, Aaron had to go to camp with the Grade 9's, so he wouldn't get to see her play.  The night before the tournament she was restless and couldn't sleep.  I had to threaten to pull her from the games if she didn't get some rest!
 
We both got up early on Friday morning and packed up water, chairs and a couple other things before heading to school to meet everyone else.  Ariana collected the girls who were going with me and we left before everyone else.  When we got to the field, it was just around 8:15 a.m. and the grass was a bit wet.  The temperature was going to be somewhere in the late 20's so it would be a nice day.
 
Softball is not something I know much about.  I always assumed it was the girl version of baseball!  Apparently the only real difference is the ball is slighter bigger and is thrown underhand, and then game ends after seven innings...not nine.  Throughout the games, I noticed a lot of differences.  The biggest difference is the pitcher pitches to her own team member!  It took me a while to get used to this.  Also, when you run home, you don't have to touch the home plate!  For this age group, the girls played only 5 innings or 45 minutes, whichever came first.
 
I didn't have time to do a full report on the way the games played out as I was taking photos for the girls.  One saw my camera and asked if I was taking photos of everyone.  I didn't plan too but since they asked, I did.
 
I already knew she could run but I was pleasantly surprised to see that she hit EVERY time she went up to bad.  I honestly think she should consider softball next season instead of hardball.  The injuries are less and you stand a better chance of hitting the ball.  She had more fun today than she had all season.
 
The girls lost the very first game but came back and won all the rest.
 

The West Region Champions
A well deserved win for the girls of St. Benedicts...after playing a total of 5 games and losing only one!

Champ!!!

No comments: