DISCLAIMER: I am not a writer or critic, just an everyday mom who really loves baseball...especially when my kids are on the field!!!

My blog was created to track my children's special moments on the field and their experience(s) with their respective teams. It is written through a mother's eyes. The intent is solely for the purpose of reliving the game(s) during post season. From my experience, there will be some bad plays / unfortunate incidents, and these may be recorded in order to follow the game(s). There will also be times when I will have questions or doubts...but these are MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION(S).

I apologize in advance if I do, but I do not intend to criticize any player, or coach...I SIMPLY CALL IT AS I SEE IT!!!

Friday, August 1, 2014

Royal York Cardinals vs. Thornhill Reds # 1 - July 31, 2014

The boys finally had the opportunity to face the Reds # 1 team tonight!  The apparently undefeated team in the loop so far.  This game was scheduled earlier in the Season but had to be rescheduled, twice...due to bad weather.
 
We dropped Aaron off on the field and went to run a couple errands.  I found a new lens on sale, at a store which happened to be near the field...is that a coincidence or what!  This way I get to test it out at the game tonight!  I have had my DSLR camera for just over 1 year now and I still find it intimidating and challenging at times.  Reading the online blogs and instructions still sound like Greek to me but I have seen some of the amazing photos people take with these type of cameras and decided I want to have great photos too! 

The Reds # 1 are certainly some big boys!  As we were walking to the bleachers we notice that Aaron was warming up in the bullpen...I guess we know who's opening the game tonight!
 
Opening the Game - July 31, 2014 (and I am pretty impressed with my new lens).
The game started right on time at 7:30 p.m. and the Reds were up to bat first.  Aaron's pitching was amazing as usual...but these kids were hitting.  I was more focused on taking the photos that I didn't have time to do a pitch count.  With one already out the next kid hits and should have been out at first, but our short overthrew the ball to our first baseman...and this kid ends up scoring the one run that came in this inning!  Someone said Aaron had 27 pitches in this inning alone.  The Reds fouled many balls and I guess this is the strategy for running up the pitch count, and making the pitcher tired.  He hit one batter in this inning. 

Such passion when he's pitching!
(he's not going to be happy to see how far I can zoom in now)!
As the Reds took the field for the bottom of the first, you immediately noticed that these boys are screamers.  They were screaming for every play.  It would be hard to make an error when there is so much noise in the field!  We managed to get one on base but couldn't score any runs.  It wasn't difficult to understand why this team is undefeated!
 
Aaron is back on the mound for the top of the second and didn't take long to strike out the first 2 batters...wow.  The next batter hit one really hard into the outfield.  If I were on the field when this ball was hit, I would have honestly stepped aside to let it go...that could have done some serious damage if it had hit a kid!  The next batter hit one in the infield and Aaron was able to get it in time to throw him out at first.  Thank God, no runs scored in this inning.
 
Back for another inning.
Bottom of the second and we have one out and one on base.  The next batter (#2) hits a really hard one and brings home the 2 on base.  With 2 outs Aaron is up to bat...same situation as always.  He hits a nice one but the Reds got him out at first.  Andy took him to the batting cage earlier today, so I guess it is safe to say it's paying off.
 
In the third inning the Reds managed to get another run in. With 2 already out and one on base, one batter hits one in the outfield and brings home the run before the inning ended. Aaron was somewhere near 66 pitches for the 3 innings.

The bottom of the third was quick with 3 up 3 down and no runs for us!

We send in a new pitcher for the 4th inning and Aaron sits. We quickly let 2 on base and then the Reds scored 1 run. With one out, they hit and bring in another run! The bases are now loaded and only 1 out. Our pitcher walks in another run. Time is called and we changed our pitcher! This new pitcher walks in another run...OMG! Time is called and we changed our pitcher, AGAIN!!! Another hit by the Reds and 2 more runs are scored...we just handed them this game, on a silver platter! I don't even remember how the rest of the inning went or how it ended, and I lost track of the runs that came in. I thought they got 6 runs but someone said the score was 10-2!

The Reds are still using the same pitcher for the 4th inning and it was another 3 up 3 down with no runs for us. The innings have been so quick so his pitch count must be lower than ours by far. 

Top of the 5th and Aaron is still sitting and I only just realized that he is sitting out the rest of the game, with a couple other boys.  This inning felt really long but we somehow managed to get the 3 outs with no runs for the Reds!

The Reds finally changed their pitcher for the 5th inning but we still didn't get any runs!

In the sixth inning we finally clued in that the Umpire was not consistent in calling the strikes..and the bases are quickly loaded.  We managed to get the 3 outs but only after the Reds scored 2 runs!  The score is now 12-2...OMG, this will be a mercy game, if we don't get some runs now!

Bottom of the 6th and everyone is anxious!  We got one on first base and our # 97 hit a really hard one, just mm from the fence, and brings in an RBI.  Yes, no mercy!  The bases are loaded and no outs.  Time is called and the Reds huddled together on the mound (I guess they are worried).  Their pitcher doesn't look too good!  Another hit but we get a forced out at home, and the bases are still loaded.  Another amazing hit and another RBI, and the bases are still loaded!  Another RBI, and another one...and the bases are still loaded!  Two outs and the bases are still loaded.  Another run and then the pitcher hit one our boys with a pitch and walks in the 6th run in this inning.  Time is called and the Reds changed their pitcher.  I guess they are trying to delay the game, as it is already 9:55 p.m.!  The Umpire made a bad call and our next batter struck out to end the inning...and the game!  I guess the Umpire didn't want to stay late tonight!!!

There's no lie in the saying, "a baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into 9 inning...but in our case tonight, only 6"! 

So close, but he was safe...way to go # 7!
The final score was 12-8, for the Reds...at least there was no mercy!

Tonight during the game, a few of the dads were trying to determine who was the fastest kid on the team...I guess they were bored!  It came down to Aaron and 2 other boys.  They were talking about putting these 3 boys to run the bases at the end of the Season to see who will win!  Only a man, can come up with this type of competition!!!  I think they, the dads, should be the ones to run the bases!!!

At least I know someone appreciates getting his picture taken!

I think my new investment was worth it!!!

No comments: