DISCLAIMER: I am not a writer or critic, just an everyday mom who really loves baseball...especially when my kids are on the field!!!

My blog was created to track my children's special moments on the field and their experience(s) with their respective teams. It is written through a mother's eyes. The intent is solely for the purpose of reliving the game(s) during post season. From my experience, there will be some bad plays / unfortunate incidents, and these may be recorded in order to follow the game(s). There will also be times when I will have questions or doubts...but these are MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION(S).

I apologize in advance if I do, but I do not intend to criticize any player, or coach...I SIMPLY CALL IT AS I SEE IT!!!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

FIRST Game of the Season, RY Cardinals vs. Aurora Jays - May 7, 2014

Tonight the Royal York Cardinals took on the Aurora Jays in Aurora. The drive to Aurora was just under 1 hour and it was a bit colder than we expected...I forgot we were headed up North! 

As we watched the teams warm up on the field, it was obvious that our boys were a little bigger in size and comments were made that RY could easily 'beat' Aurora!

The game started just around 7:30 p.m. and we were up to bat first. The pitcher...a leftie...took no time in shooting our boys down. At the end of the first inning the score was 1-0 (in Aurora's favour). We underestimated those boys for sure!
 
Our boys got it together and held them down with a score of 8-1 (in our favour) by the end of the 3rd inning.

Aaron went up to bat in the 3rd inning. When the Umpire called the first strike on him, memories of last year came right back (he wasn't known for having many hits last year)! When he connected with the second ball, I have to admit both Andy and I were surprised...late night Mondays were definitely worth the sacrifice. The ball landed just in front of the 3rd base but he managed to make it safely to 1st before the ball reached there. Way to go son...I guess the drive to the US for that Marucci bat was really worth it after all! I don't remember how he advanced to 2nd or 3rd but I clearly remember him stealing home. All I kept saying in my mind as he was running home was - don't slide, please don't slide (I didn't care what the rule was at that moment)!
 
Aaron (# 26) scoring his very first run for the Season
(and all I could think about at the time was those pants - why did they have to be WHITE)!
What's the first thing my son does after he gets up? He looks at me and laughs. I know it should be a moment of pride but I knew it was going to be a long night for me!  The second time he went up to bat he sends the ball into the outfield behind 3rd base and manages to make it safely to 2nd base (being on a track & field team does help a lot).  I am sitting there thinking - wow, this bat is worth it's weight in gold!  He was able to score another run for his team, without 'kicking up' more sand!

By the end of the 6th inning it was getting pretty close. The runs were coming in and we changed pitchers...twice!  It started sounding like Aurora was waking up - either that or they were enjoying the free runs!


Bottom of the 7th and our pitcher is struggling...the score is already 9-5 with just one out and the bases are loaded (this must be what they're talking about when they say - there is no crying in baseball)! Time is called, our Coach walks out to the mound and points to Aaron, who is on first base. "Wait a second you can't do that...he hasn't had time to warm up in the bull pen"! The ball is handed to him (he later tells us that all Coach Terry asked him was - are you ready?). He takes the ball and gets on the mound...a position which he was so accustomed to last year! He pitches a few to the Catcher to warm up (I believe they are allowed 5 pitches). First pitch...STRIKE...yes, he's back! Aurora's dug out is suddenly silent (they were getting annoying there for a while).  I know exactly what they are thinking!  He's a sidewinder Boys...get used to it! It takes a measly 6 pitches from Aaron to end the game!
 
Closing off the game, at the end of the 7th.
My boy didn't just shine tonight...he sparkled! He not only played his first game of the Season, he showed his new team just who he really is!  I know Andy and I left Aurora full of pride (in fact it kept us awake all the way home).
The game ended just after 10:00 p.m. with a final score of 9-6 (in our favour)! Way to kick of the Season boys (first game = first win).
By the time we pulled into the driveway, after grabbing something to eat, it was close to midnight.  How does this Baseball Mom end the night? Getting that WHITE pants clean for tomorrow night's game!

No comments: