DISCLAIMER: I am not a writer or critic, just an everyday mom who really loves baseball...especially when my kids are on the field!!!

My blog was created to track my children's special moments on the field and their experience(s) with their respective teams. It is written through a mother's eyes. The intent is solely for the purpose of reliving the game(s) during post season. From my experience, there will be some bad plays / unfortunate incidents, and these may be recorded in order to follow the game(s). There will also be times when I will have questions or doubts...but these are MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION(S).

I apologize in advance if I do, but I do not intend to criticize any player, or coach...I SIMPLY CALL IT AS I SEE IT!!!

Friday, May 9, 2014

Royal York Cardinals vs. Richmond Hill Phoenix - May 8, 2014.

Tonight the RY Cardinals faced off with Richmond Hill Phoenix at our home field in Toronto.  I have to admit after last night's game, we were hoping for another win...and it was pretty close but the boys lost.

Opening the Game - May 8, 2014
Our opening Pitcher was none other than Aaron (#26).  He pitched a solid 3 innings (and so did Richmond Hill's pitcher) with no runs scored.  He started running into trouble by the 4th and the outfielders let him down a couple of times.  Richmond Hill was able to cash in 4 runs in this inning before it was over.

Aaron went up to bat and struck out once.  Then he got a walk to first, sole second and third and made it home safely, scoring the second run for his team in the 5th inning.

At one point in the game, it all went haywire!  Catches were being dropped, balls were falling out of gloves, players were overthrowing the ball, and our boys were striking out!  It didn't help that the Umpires were not in our favour either...calling out a kid on 3rd, who was clearly safe, and ending that inning!  I captured that incident on camera (the ball wasn't even in the glove when our boy slid into 3rd)!  How can these boys focus when the odds are so against them?

I was about to get a paper bag to hide my face but the team somehow managed to get it together by the 6th inning and scored a few more runs in the 6th and 7th!  The final score was 11-10, in Richmond's Hill favour.  Not too bad as they lost by just 1 run!

We have to keep in mind that these boys are still getting to know each other on the field.  As Coach Terry put it...in the beginning of the season winning is NOT everything.  Getting to know where everyone fits in and player development is what is the most important to us.

We went home with a very disappointed player (he said he let himself down)!  No one expects him to pitch a perfect game and he did manage to pitch 3 innings without any runs scored...so in my eyes, that's just great!  I know I had a very hard time keeping my eyes open today, so I can only imagine how the boys felt having to play so late at night, and it's still cold.

I am just happy that Aaron somehow managed to keep his uniform white!  Good luck boys for Sunday morning's game.

No comments: