DISCLAIMER: I am not a writer or critic, just an everyday mom who really loves baseball...especially when my kids are on the field!!!

My blog was created to track my children's special moments on the field and their experience(s) with their respective teams. It is written through a mother's eyes. The intent is solely for the purpose of reliving the game(s) during post season. From my experience, there will be some bad plays / unfortunate incidents, and these may be recorded in order to follow the game(s). There will also be times when I will have questions or doubts...but these are MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION(S).

I apologize in advance if I do, but I do not intend to criticize any player, or coach...I SIMPLY CALL IT AS I SEE IT!!!

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Ariana's FIRST Baseball Game - June 11, 2014

Tonight, Ariana played her very first game with Rexdale Baseball League. Her team, the Canadian Jays faced the Neweduick Funeral Home team (also from Rexdale) at Rexdale Park in Toronto.

While I am here with Ariana, Andy went with Aaron to Thornhill as the Royal York Cardinals took on the Thornhill Reds # 2 for the first time. This is the first time I am missing one of Aaron's games but there is only one of me and I cannot miss my girl's very first game!

It was a very gloomy afternoon as the forecast called for rain and possible thunder. The game started just around 6:45 p.m. after a few delays.

The Jays were up to bat first and scored an impressive 3 runs before the inning ended. Ariana sat out the first inning as the team took to the fields.

In the second inning, she was 3rd up to bat and after fouling off a ball, she took a walk to 1st base. She managed to steal 2nd base on an overthrow at 1st! I guess paying attention to Aaron's game has really taught her a thing or two. Although she walked home, I could see the pride in her face when she jumped on the home plate and realized that she scored her very first run. She was sent to the right outfield when her team took the field and was able to show how good she is at running, when she had to get a ball and throw it to the pitcher.

Fouling off that pitch - June 11, 2014.
Scoring her very FIRST run - June 11, 2014.
She went up to bat again in the 3rd inning. It looks like batting against her brother's pitching has really paid off...she did not swing at one bad ball and walked to 1st base. She ended up walking home, bringing in the 5th run to end that inning. The 5-run mercy rule applies to this level. At this time, the Jays has 1 run more than Neweduick. I believe the score is 8-7 (for the Jays). I didn't concentrate on the runs as the game was more about the kids learning the game and the rules.

In the bottom of the 3rd, the Coach sent her to cover 1st base and I thought this was going to be interesting...just yesterday she was complaining that her catching sucked (her words not mine)! She catches really well with her bare hands but she hasn't mastered using the gloves as yet. She is also using one of her brother's retired gloves tonight because she said she is more comfortable with it (Aaron was practicing with her on the weekend and gave her the glove). One of the kids hit a ball and it lands in the infield and our pitcher was able to grab it in time to throw him out at 1st. Then it hit me...Ariana is on first! I have to admit, when the pitcher made the throw to her, I closed my eyes thinking she was going to miss. It was only when everyone cheered for her that I realized she actually caught the ball...I guess we have another first baseman on our hands. Another ball was hit right to 1st base and although she tried, it went right past her. I knew she couldn't get it because it went too fast and they are using actual hard balls. She turns to the Coach and says "Sorry"...yep, that's the polite little girl I raised!

The game ended just around 8:30 p.m. when Neweduick scored 2 more runs giving them in the lead by 1 run.

Watching her play tonight you would never believe that this was her FIRST game. Up until two weeks ago, this was the same little girl who disliked everything baseball!

I wonder how Aaron's team is doing? We'll have to wait until they get home tonight to hear all about it...and knowing the two of them, there won't be much to announce!

Ariana went home bursting with pride...and just in time to celebrate her birthday tomorrow!
 
No. 4 getting ready to bat - June 11, 2014

No comments: