DISCLAIMER: I am not a writer or critic, just an everyday mom who really loves baseball...especially when my kids are on the field!!!

My blog was created to track my children's special moments on the field and their experience(s) with their respective teams. It is written through a mother's eyes. The intent is solely for the purpose of reliving the game(s) during post season. From my experience, there will be some bad plays / unfortunate incidents, and these may be recorded in order to follow the game(s). There will also be times when I will have questions or doubts...but these are MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION(S).

I apologize in advance if I do, but I do not intend to criticize any player, or coach...I SIMPLY CALL IT AS I SEE IT!!!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Rexdale Canadian Jays vs. Martingrove Red Sox - June 24, 2014

For their second game of the week, the Jays took on Martingrove Red Sox at Rexdale Park in Toronto.

It was another rainy afternoon here in Toronto.  In fact, the weather channel called for a thunderstorm.  When I arrived home after work, there were confirmed reports that a tornado touched down in Orangeville, which is just north of Toronto.  I was expecting a phone call saying the game was called off...but didn't get one!  Aaron's Coach called off his batting practice because they cannot use wet balls in the machine so he was able to attend Ariana's game.

We got to the field and it was still raining a bit...and everything and everyone was wet!

The game started on time at 6:30 p.m. and the Red Sox was up to bat first.  The opening Pitcher for the Jays was Ariana!  This should be interesting!  She calmly took her place on the mound and took the wet ball and threw a couple to warm up.  The pitches were somewhat accurate but a bit too high and fell short of the base.  Aaron and Andy were both encouraging her to throw the ball harder.  I have to admit that I admired her courage...if I were the smallest girl on the team, I am not sure I could take centre stage and stay calm, like she did!
Opening Pitcher - June 24, 2014
She pitched the entire inning without getting frustrated...even though most of the pitches were called balls!  Aaron said the Umpire wasn't fair or consistent as some of the balls were actual strikes.  I am glad he umpires and is getting to see things from a different angle.  Although she walked in the 5 runs needed to end the inning, she was able to get one kid out at first.  He hit the ball straight to her and she was able to block it and throw him out!  Way to go, Ariana.

Watching her on the mound tonight, with the moves she made and her techniques, I realized that she really picked up a few things from her brother!

Keeping an eye on the Player at First
(and up until now, she disliked baseball)!
Ariana went up to bat 2nd in the lineup and struck out.  That pitcher from the Red Sox was good!

I had to leave the field just as the third Jays struck out in the first inning, to go meet with my Vet.  Reece needed his annual shots so Aaron stayed to cheer his sister on.

I returned just as the game was finally called off because the rain started coming down really hard.  While we were going home, Aaron turned to his sister and said - "Ariana you did a good job for a first time and it is hard pitching in the rain".

Yep, I am proud Baseball Mom!!!

No comments: